The Willy Wilson Scholarship honors a thespian and friend who was a dedicated actor, set designer, tech director, Board President and member, and active supporter of the Maplewood Barn Community Theatre from 1975 until his death. He was a popular teacher of mathematics at Rock Bridge High School when illness forced him to retire. This scholarship honors outstanding graduating seniors, from Boone County area high schools, who have an interest in pursuing theatre (onstage or backstage) during their college years. Funding in his memory is provided by the Wilson family, friends and private donors.
A $1,500 scholarship for college-related expenses presented to a recent Boone County high school graduate, enrolling in a degree-seeking program for the first time, to enable continued involvement in community theatre. A report may be requested.
Who is eligible?
- Applicant must be a recent graduate of a Boone County high school.
- Applicant must be enrolling in a degree-seeking program for the first time.
- Applicant must have previous theatre experience, either onstage, backstage, or on technical or production teams.
- Applicant may pursue any major but must plan future involvement, in any way, in some aspect of community theatre.
How do I apply? What information do I need to provide?
- Complete the Application; which can be downloaded using the link at the bottom of this page.
- Describe previous theatrical activities. (Maximum 250 words)
- Explain how your involvement with theatre has had a positive impact on you. (Maximum 500 words) Be sure to use specific examples. Please consider the following in your essay:
- Why is theatre important to you?
- What have you learned or gained from your theatrical activities?
- How do you see your future involvement in theatrical activities?
- How might the scholarship affect that future involvement?
- Applicants are also asked to submit a résumé listing your accomplishments in academics and your extra-curricular activities, such as arts, service, athletics, or similar activities in or outside school. Include postsecondary education plans!
- Please also submit at least one letter of recommendation from a relevant non-relative.
- An interview may be required.
When is the deadline and how do I submit?
Complete applications, whether mailed or electronic, must be received by March 15, 2021. Email completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Maplewood Barn Community Theatre, PO Box 1704, Columbia, MO, 65202-1704.
When and how will awards be announced?
Awards will be presented preceding a summer play at Maplewood Barn Theatre. Finalists will be notified in advance and invited to attend.
Please send all questions to email@example.com